Holy Week – God’s love as compassionate solidarity.

 





         

I failed. Again.

 

This past weekend, I found myself in conversation with an in-law regarding the state of our nation and our differing political opinions. Both of us acknowledged that our faith and our understanding of God’s will were crucial in shaping our views. We shared common ground.

 

It was not long into our conversation that the very reactions I have been working hard to overcome surfaced:  anger, frustration, defensiveness – and not to be indelicate – sweaty armpits. Good grief, I thought afterwards, I am still incapable of engaging in conversations about polarizing topics without losing it.

 

What happened? Two things. First, I allowed fear to take over. I forgot to love. Love keeps my fear and desperation in check along with my need to be right, to have the last word. The second was that I stopped speaking from my heart; to explain that I have come to understand that my political views are shaped by the call to stand in solidarity with the suffering of my brothers and sisters, and by extension, to desire that my country’s policies reflect this core value. I was intent on showing the error of her thinking rather than encouraging her to share her heart and the motivations surrounding her perspectives. I also failed to focus on OUR solidarity, the importance of friendship and community.   

 

I am not likely to change anyone’s mind, nor they mine. I CAN share my heart and my perspective, and I can invite others to share theirs. Just as Jesus stands in solidarity with us despite our imperfections and sin, so we can we stand in solidarity with one another despite our differences. 

         

Karen M.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fasting

A Reflection of Kindness and Justice